Beginning orthodontic treatment can be an exciting time! Advances in modern technology allow patients of any age to enjoy the benefits of a beautiful smile and improved tooth function. It is normal to have some worries or anxieties about starting new treatment of any kind. At Knight Orthodontics, serving Louisville, KY, and Radcliff, KY, patient comfort is our top priority. We take pride in serving all of our patients with the utmost compassionate care in a fun and friendly environment. Dr. Knight and the entire team at Knight Orthodontics are here to address any concerns you may have throughout the duration of your treatment. Here are some of the most common orthodontic FAQs:
What is an orthodontist?
- An orthodontist is a dentist who specializes in the field of orthodontics. Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that focuses on treating and preventing problems with teeth and occlusion (the way your teeth fit together). An orthodontist has two extra years of specialized education after he or she completes the first four years of dental school.
How do I know if I need braces?
- Orthodontic treatment may be indicated if your teeth are not in alignment. For example, if you have teeth that protrude (or stick out), crowded teeth, or spacing between the teeth, you may be a candidate for braces. Orthodontic treatment may also be recommended if you have issues with the way your bite fits together. Your family dentist can help you decide if orthodontic treatment is an option for you, or you can contact us to request a free consultation.
At what age should I schedule my child’s first visit to the orthodontist?
- The American Association of Orthodontists advises that your child have their first orthodontic appointment around the age of seven when several permanent teeth have erupted. By scheduling a visit at this age, we can accurately evaluate your child’s overall dental health, and decide if orthodontic treatment may be necessary.
Am I too old to make an appointment with an orthodontist?
- Absolutely not! In fact, approximately 45 percent of our patients are adults. Modern technology has given us advantages today that surpass the possibilities of previous generations. Many adults enjoy the benefits of conservative and time-efficient orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages of orthodontic treatment?
- Braces help achieve a beautiful smile. More importantly than that, orthodontic treatment improves your overall function so you can avoid potential health problems and live life to the fullest. If your teeth do not fit together properly, you can experience a myriad of issues, ranging from mild to severe.
Will braces hurt?
- You will probably experience mild general discomfort when you first get your braces. This is perfectly normal, and should not be alarming. A combination of warm salt water rinses and over-the-counter pain medication such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen should suffice. The soreness typically lasts between three to five days.
How long will I have to wear braces?
- Orthodontic treatment times can drastically vary, depending on each patient’s specific needs. The average length of treatment usually lasts approximately 18 to 24 months.
What will happen at my first visit?
- During your initial consultation, Dr. Knight will perform a complete examination of your teeth, gums, muscles, and jaws. Diagnostic x-rays and scans will be taken to determine the severity of your condition. If orthodontic treatment is recommended, we will present you with a customized treatment plan and discuss details regarding length of treatment, expectations, and cost.
Do I still need to see my general dentist while under your care?
- Maintaining routine checkups and cleanings is even more important for a patient who wears braces. We will work together with your family dentist to make sure you receive the most comprehensive dental care available.
What can I eat while in orthodontic treatment?
- You will have a few limitations in regard to food and diet. Foods that are crunchy, sticky, or chewy can potentially damage your braces. We will provide you with a comprehensive list of instructions to help you take care of your braces.
How much do braces cost?
- The fees for orthodontic treatment vary, depending on your specific needs. Once your customized treatment plan is determined, our team of financial experts will work with you to choose the payment option that is right for you. Our practice accepts all major credit cards and insurance plans, and also provides an in-office financing plan.