At Knight Orthodontics, we believe an artist is as only as good as their tools. That’s why we invest in nothing but the best technology for caring for our patients. Check out some of our coolest tech here!
i-CAT® Technology Provides Accurate Diagnosis and Less Radiation
At Knight Orthodontics, we are committed to providing our patients with the most accurate and appropriate care possible. Dr. Knight uses modern innovative technology in his Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY offices to diagnose his patients. The i-CAT® is a 3-D cone beam imaging tool that captures several views of the oral and maxillofacial structures. This technology offers a faster scan than traditional 2-D radiographs, capturing all necessary images in less than one minute. Since i-CAT® captures both the hard and soft tissues of your craniofacial structures, Dr. Knight can rotate the final captured image to assess your orthodontic condition from multiple perspectives. Using adjustable settings, it is possible to customize the field of view, magnifying locations of interest.
One of the most beneficial aspects of i-CAT® technology, is that it emits 90 percent less radiation than traditional x-ray devices. The result is a high-quality image that provides more accuracy than conventional methods, while also protecting you from harmful side effects. Advances in modern dentistry have made it possible to provide patients with a more accurate diagnosis and a fully customized treatment plan. Put simply, it is a responsible approach to patient care.
What Happens During an i-CAT® Scan?
If Dr. Knight recommends that you have an i-CAT® scan, do not worry! They are simple to perform and take less than a minute. You will be seated, where you will remain as stationary as possible. There are no uncomfortable films or sensors to be placed inside your mouth. Instead, you will close down on a bite stick to help maintain proper position. Once you are in place, the machine will rotate around your head, capturing hundreds of images, which will be combined to create a precise 3-D image. The i-CAT® machine boasts a sleek design, which helps eliminate any feelings of claustrophobia. Because patients are seated the entire time, they are typically comfortable throughout the duration of the scan.
Advantages of i-CAT® Technology
Up-to-date diagnostic technology can help Dr. Knight build a more accurate treatment plan for your specific needs. The i-CAT® also offers several benefits for our patients:
- More conservative than traditional x-rays: In orthodontics, an i-CAT® scan can replace up to four traditional x-rays typically needed to diagnose.
- Eliminates the need for traditional impressions: The i-CAT® can be used to fabricate study models, so there is no need for the unpleasant experience of traditional dental impressions using alginate.
- Fully digital: In some cases, Dr. Knight may work alongside other specialists to provide proper treatment. Because the i-CAT® is completely digital, the files can easily be shared with other clinicians. Additionally, the scan can be reviewed with you, on the same day as your appointment, helping you visualize what Dr. Knight is seeing.
- Significant decrease in radiation: The i-CAT® emits ten times less radiation than a medical CT scan and half the dose of a full mouth series of dental x-rays (FMX).
- Predictability: Because the i-CAT® provides complete and precise information, it allows Dr. Knight to give you an accurate idea of your customized treatment timeline.
Software Helps You Imagine Your Future Smile
Modern advances in technology have drastically improved the field of orthodontics. Because Dr. Knight embraces a philosophy of comprehensive care, he utilizes several types of innovative diagnostic equipment in his Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY office locations. Up-to-date dental technology helps our team at Knight Orthodontics provide you with more accurate, efficient, and predictable treatment.
What is Dolphin® 3-D Imaging?
Dolphin® is a software program that provides practice management and imaging solutions for dental offices. The 3-D imaging aspect of Dolphin® is quite remarkable, as it can perform a variety of tasks to help treatment plan, organize records, and digitally demonstrate your customized orthodontic goals.
Dolphin® Imaging is particularly helpful in an orthodontic setting. The 3-D cone beam files of your oral and maxillofacial structures (acquired from the i-CAT®) can be imported into Dolphin®, allowing the clinical team to manipulate the images. Not only does this allow Dr. Knight to plan treatment and predict outcomes, but it can also show you a visual representation of what you will look like once your treatment is complete! Dolphin® 3-D software literally helps you imagine your future smile.
Orthognathic Surgery and Dolphin® 3-D Imaging
Occasionally, orthognathic surgery is recommended for patients who suffer from severe misalignment or malocclusion. This type of corrective jaw surgery is typically indicated when orthodontic problems cannot be corrected with traditional braces alone. In these cases, Dr. Knight works in conjunction with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS) to provide the best available care for his patients.
Dolphin® 3-D Surgery is a powerful and highly advanced presentation tool that allows Dr. Knight to digitally plan your treatment. These detailed files can be shared with the entire surgical team to provide you with the most comprehensive care possible. Dolphin® 3-D software also gives Dr. Knight the ability to fabricate surgical appliances and stints that will aid in your surgical treatment.
One of the most popular features of Dolphin 3-D Imaging is the ability to create pre-surgical and post-surgical visualizations. Before your orthodontic treatment even begins, Dr. Knight will be able to present realistic before and after images of your facial structures and dentition. Many patients enjoy the advantage of knowing what they will look like after treatment is completed.
Advantages of Dolphin® 3-D Imaging
The field of dentistry has drastically improved due to modern technological advancements. While Dolphin® 3-D Imaging certainly benefits your doctors and clinical team, you can also enjoy some advantages:
- Shorter treatment time: Because new advances in digital imaging help your doctor clearly understand your needs, a more precise and appropriate treatment plan can be created. This allows your dental team to plan out phases of your treatment with greater accuracy, resulting in shorter treatment times.
- More predictability: 3-D diagnostic tools like Dolphin® not only predict treatment times with great accuracy, but they also give you the ability to visualize how your treatment will work, and what you will look like when it is completed.
- Greater understanding: Because Dolphin® 3-D imaging can serve as a presentation tool, Dr. Knight can utilize it during your appointments to explain the overall goals of your orthodontic treatment, and help you know what to expect while you are under his care.
Anatomage® Dental Software Helps to Make Treatment More Predictable
Advancements in modern technology have significantly benefited the field of orthodontics. Dr. Knight utilizes Anatomage® 3-D rendering software to diagnose and treat his patients in Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY. The use of this modern technology allows Dr. Knight to provide an accurate diagnosis and create an appropriate treatment plan designed for your individualized needs.
Like Dolphin® 3-D Imaging, Anatomage® rendering software works in conjunction with radiographic cone beam scans acquired with the i-CAT machine. It allows Dr. Knight to visualize the precise location of oral and maxillofacial landmarks, such as airways, mandibular nerves, temporomandibular joints, and impacted teeth, among others. Anatomage® technology can assist in the accuracy of treatment planning, and give you a good idea of how long your customized treatment will take.
One of the most impressive features of Anatomage® rendering software is the ability to create virtual pre-treatment and post-treatment images before your orthodontic process even begins! Dr. Knight can show you what changes you can expect in your face, teeth, and surrounding structures once your treatment is finished.
This technology is especially useful in cases where orthognathic surgery is recommended. This type of corrective jaw surgery is sometimes necessary if treatment cannot be successful with braces alone. Dr. Knight will work alongside an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS) in these cases, to ensure you are receiving the most comprehensive and collaborative care available. Anatomage® allows your entire dental team to share records and images, maximizing the treatment planning process. Your doctors can even virtually simulate orthognathic surgical procedures to accurately plan your case and illustrate the end results before your treatment even begins.
The Use of Anatomage® 3-D Rendering Software in Orthodontics
Anatomage® rendering software is particularly useful in the field of orthodontics. By importing the image files of one 60 second cone beam scan, Dr. Knight will be able to visualize:
- The exact position of your teeth in 3-D
- The location of your wisdom teeth, and whether they are impacted
- Supernumerary (extra) teeth and their precise location
- The development and growth of your oral and maxillofacial structures
- Bone levels around your teeth
- Your airways, which can significantly affect breathing and/or sleep apnea
Patient Advantages of Anatomage® 3-D Rendering Software
There are several types of innovative technology that make dentistry easier and more predictable for patients. The use of Anatomage® 3-D rendering software offers these benefits:
- No more traditional impressions: From one cone beam scan, we are able to fabricate study models of your teeth. This means no more conventional alginate impressions, which can be an uncomfortable experience for many patients.
- Faster treatment times: Because your diagnosis will be more accurate, Dr. Knight will be able to effectively and efficiently complete your treatment, resulting in a quicker treatment timeline.
- Predictability: The use of modern diagnostic technology allows clinicians to plan more efficiently, so you know what to expect in terms of specific treatment and timelines.
- Virtual before and after images: Anatomage® technology offers the ability to produce realistic pre-treatment and post-treatment mockups, so you can have an accurate idea of what you will look like once your orthodontic treatment is complete.
Mounted Model Analysis Helps Your Orthodontist Provide Accurate Treatment
Advances in modern dental technology have improved the field of orthodontics for doctors and patients alike. Serving Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY areas, Dr. Knight uses mounted model analysis to diagnose your customized orthodontic treatment plan. In mounted model analysis, plaster study models of your teeth are affixed to a structure that mimics your jaw and its movements. This technology allows Dr. Knight to evaluate any discrepancies in the position of your teeth.
Innovative Technology Working Together for You
Mounted model analysis is typically used in conjunction with other methods of diagnostic technology, such as i-CAT®, Dolphin® 3-D Imaging, and Anatomage® rendering software. These innovative approaches work together to help Dr. Knight plan an accurate and detailed treatment plan, designed for your individual dental needs. Below is a brief synopsis of how up-to-date technology used at Knight Orthodontics helps patients have a more predictable and comfortable experience:
- i-CAT®: This cone beam imaging machine can replace traditional dental x-rays with more accuracy and 90 percent less radiation. A single scan takes less than one minute, and provides precise 3-D views of teeth, roots, bone levels, the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), sinuses, and airways. The i-CAT emits half the radiation dose of a full mouth series of dental x-rays (FMX), and ten times less than a medical CT scan.
- Dolphin®: The image files acquired by i-CAT can be directly imported into Dolphin® 3-D Imaging Software to create a virtual patient. This allows Dr. Knight to treatment plan, fabricate stints, and even share the files with other members of your dental team. An impressive aspect of Dolphin® is the ability to create digital pre-treatment and post-treatment mockup images. By manipulating the images, Dr. Knight can show you what you will look like when your orthodontic treatment is complete.
- Anatomage®: This 3-D rendering software also works in conjunction with the initial cone beam scan, acquired by the i-CAT x-ray unit. Once your radiographic scans are imported into the software, Dr. Knight will be able to manipulate the images to help diagnose with greater accuracy. This software is particularly helpful in cases of orthognathic surgery, in which an oral and maxillofacial specialist (OMS) will join your team. Anatomage® software is even able to simulate surgical procedures, helping the doctors make your case more predictable.
Patient Advantages of Modern Diagnostic Tools
When your doctor has access to better technology, he or she can provide a better diagnosis for you. You will be presented with a predictable and customized treatment plan and an excellent understanding of how your orthodontic therapy will be implemented. Below are other benefits to seeing an orthodontist who uses up-to-date technology:
- No traditional impressions: Conventional alginate impressions have been replaced with a fully digital method. This means no more uncomfortable dental materials in your mouth. One cone beam scan provides us with enough information to fabricate study models of your entire dentition.
- Virtual post-treatment images: Modern diagnostic technology gives us the incredible ability to produce life-like images of what you will look like once your orthodontic treatment is complete.
- Predictability: Innovative technology allows Dr. Knight to have a firm grasp on what is necessary for optimal treatment. Accurate treatment planning means a predictable process, so you will know exactly what to expect while you are under our care.
- Faster treatment times: Because your treatment will be more predictable and accurate, we are able to give you the most time-efficient and effective care possible.
AcceleDent® Aura Works with Braces to Speed Up Orthodontic Treatment
You may not mind wearing braces, but you probably like the idea of achieving a beautiful smile faster. AcceleDent® Aura helps speed up tooth movement by up to 50 percent! This advanced supplemental device uses SoftPulse Technology™ to deliver specifically calibrated micro pulses to enhance tooth movement. Approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration, AcceleDent® has been proven safe and effective, and it is available by prescription only. Dr. Knight uses AcceleDent® Aura in our Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY offices. We stay up to date with the latest technology at Knight Orthodontics, so we can provide our patients with the most accurate and efficient orthodontic treatment.
How Does AcceleDent® Aura Work?
With SoftPulse Technology™, micro pulses accelerate the movement of teeth undergoing orthodontic treatment. These micro pulses are so gentle they exert up to eight times less force than an electric toothbrush. With consistent daily use, you can achieve reliable results. Each session lasts 20 minutes and tracks progress, so you and Dr. Knight can evaluate your ongoing success. AcceleDent® Aura has been declared safe in clinical trials and has been used by thousands of patients worldwide since its launch in 2009.
Benefits of AcceleDent® Aura
Dr. Knight will help you determine if this AcceleDent® Aura treatment is right for you. Patients who use AcceleDent® Aura enjoy many benefits, including:
- Faster treatment: AcceleDent® Aura can reduce treatment time by up to 50 percent.
- No sacrifice of aesthetics: There is no need for bulky or cumbersome appliances. You can perform treatment in the comfort of your own home, in just 20 minutes a day.
- Can be used by patients of all ages: AcceleDent® Aura has been approved for children, teens, and adults, and has been declared safe by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
- Hands-free design: You can watch television, read, or do homework while you are wearing AcceleDent® Aura.
- Lightweight: The design of AcceleDent® Aura makes it extremely comfortable to wear.
- Easy to clean: Once you are done with your daily session, simply rinse off the mouthpiece with warm water.
How to Use AcceleDent® Aura
AcceleDent® Aura offers the latest technology to help you achieve your smile even quicker. Here is a brief guide explaining how to get the most out of your new device.
- Charge the battery: Your AcceleDent® Aura will need approximately two hours to charge. The LED indicator on the activator will tell you if the battery is running low.
- Insert the mouthpiece into activator: Once the battery is charged, you can insert the clear mouthpiece into the activator.
- Use for 20 minutes: Position the mouthpiece as directed, and press the start button. Your AcceleDent® Aura will run on an automatic timer for 20 minutes. You will notice a short pulsation at the ten-minute interval, letting you know your session is halfway complete.
- Clean your AcceleDent® Aura: Once your session is complete, simply disconnect the mouthpiece from the activator. Clean the mouthpiece by running it under warm water. Wipe the activator clean with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Track your progress: One of the most impressive features of the AcceleDent® Aura is the Fast Track Report, which you can access via USB. Simply plug your activator into your computer to download the software, which is both Mac and PC compatible. Bring your AcceleDent® Aura to each visit so Dr. Knight can evaluate your progress.
3 Shape TRIOS 3D Scanner
The 3Shape TRIOS® 3D Scanner Provides Accurate Intraoral Imaging
At Knight Orthodontics, we are devoted to providing our patients with the most appropriate and convenient dental experience possible. For this reason, Dr. Knight uses modern diagnostic and imaging technology in his Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY offices. One example of this is the 3Shape TRIOS® 3D Scanner. This intraoral scanning tool and camera quickly produce accurate images from within the mouth with lifelike rendering.
This technology provides high-resolution images that display the contours of the inside of the mouth. As a small, hand-held tool, the 3Shape TRIOS® is conveniently wireless and comfortably scans the teeth and gums while you are sitting in the dental chair. Patients are most often impressed by the speed at which it scans the surfaces of the mouth, creates a digital model of the cumulative images, and displays an enlarged, realistic portrayal of all sides and angles of the teeth and gums. The result is an incredibly detailed digital impression that shows an enlarged version of what the dentist sees during an consultation.
What Happens During a 3Shape TRIOS® Scan?
Unlike many other scanning or impression-creating tools, the 3Shape TRIOS® is used while you are seated comfortably in the chair. This device makes appointments go by faster, as it eliminates the need to poke and prod within the mouth to see all angles of the teeth and gums. Instead of having to hold the mouth open for extended periods of time, Dr. Knight can now take a few quick scans, and then scrutinize the digital images that appear on the display screen.
Advantages of the 3Shape TRIOS® 3D Scanner
This up-to-date diagnostic technology can help Dr. Knight diagnose dental problems, display highly detailed images for patient communication, and plan treatment for your specific needs. The 3Shape TRIOS® 3D Scanner offers several benefits for our patients:
- Shorten the time needed for consultations: The images are scanned and enlarged instantly, so less time is needed to examine every tooth.
- Eliminates the need for traditional impressions: This tool instantly creates a digital impression of the teeth and gums, eliminating the need for the messiness and unpleasant feeling of traditional dental impressions.
- Digital documentation: The 3Shape TRIOS® instantly creates accurate, three-dimensional images that can be used for digital treatment planning and shared with other clinicians and dental laboratories.
- Delivers no radiation. There is no risk of exposure to radiation since the scanner is an intraoral camera.
- Enhances Patient Communication: Because the 3Shape TRIOS® provides a complete and precise rendering of the teeth and gums, it allows Dr. Knight to communicate concerns visually, without the need for lengthy explanations. You will see an enlarged image of your teeth and gum tissue that reveals any issues as clearly as if you were looking directly into your own mouth.
Propel Shortens Orthodontic Treatment Time
There have been many advances in orthodontic treatments in recent years, but few can shorten the length of your treatment time. Dr. Knight is pleased to announce that Knight Orthodontics now offers a treatment that uses your body’s own healing mechanisms to speed up the pace of orthodontic treatments, so your new smile can emerge even faster!
The Propel system is a complement to any form of orthodontics, which can work with both traditional braces as well as clear aligner systems. There are two components to Propel, the VPro5™ and the Excellerator™. Both of these treatments require a very short time commitment from patients and can result in drastically reduced treatment periods. Your teeth will shift into more optimal positions faster, and get you to your smile goals in record time.
This treatment is a small device you use for just five minutes a day, at your convenience. The VPro5™ consists of a mouthpiece and oscillator, which delivers high frequency vibrations to increase blood flow to the areas surrounding your orthodontic work. It jump-starts your body’s healing processes, to get your teeth moving and stabilized in their more ideal positions. The best part about the VPro5™ is that it can reduce your orthodontic treatment time by up to 40 percent with regular daily use.
To use the VPro5™:
- Connect the mouthpiece to the oscillator base.
- Bite down on the mouthpiece when vibration is at its peak.
- Continue to bite down as you wear the device for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the mouthpiece when finished.
This system is small, low maintenance, and is easily portable. Use it when you travel or when relaxing at home. Because the oscillator base is a charged device, you don’t need to be near an electrical source to make it work. With regular use, your mouth will feel better during treatment and reveal a beautiful new smile sooner than you expected!
This treatment is a chair-side service that speeds up orthodontic treatments by stimulating the body’s biological inflammatory response. Small Propel drivers perform a procedure called micro-osteoperforation (MOP) to incite faster bone remodeling and accelerated movement of the teeth.
MOP is performed in Dr. Knight’s office, using a local anesthetic and can take only a short period of time. The best part of this complementary treatment is that it is only required once or twice during your orthodontic treatment to give you maximum benefits. The procedure can be performed during your routine appointments since it only takes a few extra minutes.
As a result of this easy treatment, your orthodontic treatment will move at a faster pace. For example, Propel Excellerator™ has been known to allow Invisalign patients to change their aligner trays in only 3-7 days, rather than 14 days. That’s a 50-80 percent reduction in treatment time.